Nordic skiing is a combination of winter sports that encompasses all types of skiing where the heel of the boot cannot be fixed to the ski. Newfoundland and Labrador has a longstanding history of Nordic Skiing as is prevalent through Cross Country Newfoundland and Labrador (CCNL).
The Outfitters is well rooted in the Nordic Ski community. Through education, quality products, knowledge and service combined with a partnership with the Avalon Nordic Ski Club (ANSC) assisting in their races and events.
Ever wondered why you cross-country ski? The folks at the Cross Country Ski Areas Association (CCSAA) believe they know and they've compiled a Letterman-like list:
10. You care about fitness. A 175-pound man can burn up to 800 calories per hour. Circulation improves. Blood pressure lowers. Every muscle group is in use. It's low risk and non-jarring.
9. You don't want to hibernate just because it's winter. Cross-country skiing works for your body, mind and spirit.
8. You don't want to get into a sport that won't cost you your first born and a player to be named later. The average cross-country pass costs $11
7. You want lots of choices of where to play… close by or far away. There are 500-plus cross-country ski areas in the U.S. and Canada, all of which have groomed trails.
6. You want a lifetime sport that won't take a lifetime to learn. One or two lessons and you're on your way.
5. Face it, cross-country skiing is romantic. Classic Inns. Gourmet meals. Candlelight. Ahh… Natural Viagra
4. You're never too young or too old to cross-country ski. Ever heard of Jackrabbit?
3. Equipment has improved. It's lightweight, easy to use, and looks good. What more could you need?
2. Women ski. Nearly 60% of cross-country skiers are women. Excellent news for male singles.
And the No.1 reason you cross-country ski is…
1. It's fun.
Adapted from CCSAA's October edition of Nordic Network